Thursday, October 14, 2010

Coastal Series 1

Coastal Series 1
Acrylic 91 x 80cm

This imaginary painting was on the go before I started my rock pool series , it actually initiated my close-up rock pool paintings. The painting consists of many layers, some were retained and some obliterated.
I have been trying to get the feel of looking over the rocks and pools, towards the sea in the early morning light. The painting symbolizes new beginnings.

Below I have shown stage 1 and 2 of my painting process.


9 comments:

SharonWrightArtist said...

Love it!

Jaqueline said...

Looooove the colour and the painting as a whole! xxx

Carol said...

Beautiful Di - I love the colour and the light. Sunny summers to look forward to....

Dianne said...

Thanks Sharon, Jaqueline and Carol!

sukipoet said...

it is so hard to do what you have done here, using colors so similar yet creating striking shapes. You know, to me, this looks like the ocean in winter under a coating of ice. It also reminds me of the marshes esp the two first phases with the distinctive darker area cutting through the lighter. Just as the marsh river cuts through the ice encrused marshes.

Dianne said...

Hi Suki, I really loving painting with colours that are so similar, they can vibrate against each other in an interesting way.

I am so happy that the painting stimulates memories and images in your mind - I would like all my paintings to do this for the viewer!

Art with Liz said...

Everytime I see a new painting I think, this is the best! and then yet another one appears. Absolutely love it Di! A beautiful feeling of icy icy sea!

Dianne said...

Hi Liz, thanks so much for your input, I know you have been so busy at Kirstenbosch lately. Hope you get some painting time soon. x

Andrea and Kim said...

Dianne, this is truly, truly beautiful. I can tell you have many layers going on there. To get that kind of depth it takes a great deal of time and that usually means layers. It is fabulous!