Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mandala

Mandala
6b pencil 70cm diameter

A few years ago, during a time of upheaval and change, I created this large mandala, using just a 6b pencil. It is not a pretty image and was done purely as a therapeutic "doodle". Some of the images are borrowed from paintings and cuttings from newspapers and magazines. Picasso's, "Woman Dressing her Hair" seemed to be the embodiment of how I was feeling at the beginning of my 5th decade! The marching of time seemed to come out of the pattern from my watch strap. It was an outpouring of pure emotion and now is a snapshot of how I was feeling at that time.

Carl Jung ascribed healing powers to the mandala and felt it was a way to bring consciousness into a concrete form that could be read, much as one reads a dream. He believed that by putting personal symbols together in a circle, which itself symbolizes the wholeness of the psyche, many parts are brought together in harmony. For Jung, all part of the psyche need to have their honoured place for healing to occur. For a time, he used to do a small mandala every day to clear his thoughts and find out what was important on that day.

Both Hindus and Buddhists use a mandala as a graphic symbol of the universe. Mandala is a Sanskrit word meaning "magic circle".


8 comments:

Angelique said...

Dianne, I look at it and the story unfolds; it is a painting that requires the time and full attention of the viewer if one wants to fully understand. I can sooo relate to it. xxx

sukipoet said...

you are a fine draughsman (spelling?). I like black and white. Interesting you made this at a time of transition. Perhaps I might try one. Thanks for sharing this. Best, Suki

Dianne said...

Dear Jacqueline, I am glad you can relate to this.

Dianne said...

Suki, this is a great thing to do during a transition! It provides such clarity to what is really on your mind and what is most significant.

~Babs said...

I love this sort of thing, and I can see the theraputic value.
It also holds wonderful artistic value,,,,very creative!
A total win-win!

Dianne said...

Hi Babs,
This is a great project to have on the go, I had it in the lounge and used to pick it up while sitting in front of the TV (I am not much of a knitter!). A lot of it can be done without conscious thought, it just grows like a mushroom.

Unknown said...

Well, I am grateful for the story about the mandala. And about Jung drawing every day to clear his head. I may try this as I'm searching for my own personal symbols. I'm sure they are there in all of my paintings and I just have to be willing to identify them.

Anonymous said...

http://heyriot.blogspot.com/